by Bulqees Majid | 29 January 2015
Stress is often an unavoidable part of life.Given that we spend a large portion of that time at work, it is no surprise that people can find their jobs, or elements of this very stressful! Stress is often caused by having too much to do and too much on our minds; and it is important to not let this consume you day to day.
As the candidate co-ordinator for the legal team, I am juggling numerous tasks on a daily basis, dealing with lots of incoming queries, candidate's hours, different portals etc. It would be extremely easy to let some things get on top of me, but this happens very rarely. Here are my five top tips for avoiding stress:
- Take a break. This sounds obvious, but it is easy to forget to have some time away from your desk. This is sometimes even harder if you bring your lunch to work with you, so make the effort to take at least 15 minutes out, walk around the block, and get some fresh air. It will give you a fresh start at the afternoon!
- Do not be stuck to your desk for extended period of time. Get up, stretch your legs, look away from your screen. It is such a small thing to do but means that you can keep your focus.
- Talk to your team and manager. If you are unable to get on top of your work, or are feeling overwhelmed by the tasks at hand, it is better to speak with your colleagues about it. Often speaking out load and brainstorming, rather than internalising, provides solutions to issues that on your own were unmanageable.
- Keep busy. Make sure that you plan things to do after work, meet up with friends and family. Whether it is for ten minutes or an hour, it is important that Monday to Friday isn't solely for work!.Cinema, shopping, dinner, these things are all fantastic for helping to switch off and unwind!
- Exercise. This is an easy one to avoid and forget about entirely, but half an hour of exercise either before or after work is a brilliant way to relieve any stress or tension. When we exercise your body releases endorphins which make you feel good!
Do you get stressed easily? What are your techniques for avoiding stress? Let us know in the comments box below.