by Michael Bailey | 27 March 2018
Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has evolved from a microblogging platform to a source for real-time news and insights. What essentially began as a social media networking site for quick and quirky thoughts has been dramatically rebranded as the ‘go-to’ for reliable news updates.
Over the past few months, we have seen an increase in demand for commercially minded lawyers in both the public sector and the private practice markets. Increasingly clients are seeking candidates who are aware of current affairs, trends, challenges and competitor activity and who can apply this knowledge to make strategic decisions and contribute to the growth of their organisation. With that said, when used correctly Twitter can be an excellent tool for legal professionals looking to receive quick and relevant updates on the legal sector, expand their skills set and remain commercially focused.
However, with 313 million Twitter users as of April 2017, it can often be difficult to sift through the thousands of accounts relevant to you. To give you a helping hand, we have listed the top ten Twitter accounts most useful to commercially focused legal professionals.
1. @Lawsocgazette – Law Society Gazette’s official Twitter page offers a concise feed featuring top daily headlines along with links to a range of topics such as opinion pieces on Brexit’s impact on the legal sector, reports on work/life balance for solicitors and even careers advice for practising solicitors.
2. @LocGovLawyer – Local Government Lawyer provides news, analysis, events and jobs covering legal practice in both local government and the wider public sector.
3. @LegalWeek – Legal Week’s feed is regularly updated with key news and insight for business lawyers, offering advice for both novice and seasoned legal professionals.
4. @LexisNexisUK – The online publication consistently posts reports, publications and guides on the latest ground-breaking developments within the legal sector.
5. @TheLawyermag – The Lawyer Magazine's official feed is full of news, events and insights within the sector.
6. @JoshuaRozenberg – Previously trained as a Lawyer, Joshua transitioned to a BBC journalist and regularly comments on breaking legal stories.
7. @GdnLaw – Arguably the best of the nationals, The Guardian Law’s Twitter feed features breaking legal news from both the UK and international markets, highlighting prominent legal professionals and offers careers advice.
8. @Lawyerist – A light-hearted insight into the legal world, with news, events, opinions and memes on current affairs.
9. @Legalcheek – Legal Cheek’s Twitter feed provides comic relief for those in the legal sector, often highlighting the latest news with a humorous perspective.
For further information on how to use social media in your job search or to develop your online brand check out our candidate resources page.