by Jo Sellick | 19 October 2018
Today we welcome over 200 business professionals from across Greater Manchester to our tenth annual Manchester Professionals’ Cricket League (MPCL) Charity Awards Lunch, the culmination of our tenth year organising the MPCL. The MPCL is a cricket league and charity awards lunch that was born through my love of cricket, and an event that is really close to my heart. From the offset I knew I wanted to facilitate an event that promoted cricket as a sport, gave business professionals the opportunity to network in a friendly environment and raise money for two charities that I am incredibly passionate about, St Ann’s Hospice and Lord’s Taverners.
Over the past ten years the event has grown massively, and today it is one of the highlights of my year. In this blog I look back at some of my favourite moments from the past ten years, and also some of the key benefits sporting events like this can have on your business.
Five of my favourite moments over the past ten years
- The first year of the MPCL will always be a special one for me. I will always remember what it felt like to bring the idea I had to reality and to see so many businesses get involved. It has now continued to grow year-on-year and I am incredibly excited to see how much money we raise in our tenth year.
- A moment I will always remember is when Sellick Partnership were named Cup runners up in 2014! This has been our best performance since the league’s formation in 2008. The competition every year is so incredibly high so to get close to holding the Cup is a massive achievement for any organisation.
- Reaching a fundraising total of £80,000 was also a proud moment for me and the team. When I started the MPCL back in 2008 I had no idea it would grow so quickly and it has well surpassed my expectations.
- We have had so many inspirational speakers over the years, it is so hard top pick just one. A few of my favourites have to be Bill Beaumont in 2016 and Paul Allott who will be speaking for his second year in a row at this year’s event.
- This year is one I will always remember, simply for it being our tenth anniversary. Ten years is a very long time and it is an amazing achievement to have a charitable event that has not only lasted, but continues to grow each year.
How the MPCL has helped over the past ten years
- The MPCL has provided a networking opportunity for over 50 businesses across Greater Manchester. Each year, some of Manchester’s most prominent businesses take part in the MPCL, offering a platform to network, share experiences and make new connections for everyone that gets involved. As a business leader myself I know the benefits of events like this and the opportunities they can create, and from speaking with the companies that have taken part over the years I know that the MPCL has opened many doors.
- The MPCL has raised more than £80,000 for charity since I founded it in 2008! This is an astonishing amount that has helped both of our charities – St Ann’s Hospice and Lord’s Taverners – a great deal. For example, St Ann’s Hospice have used the money to assist with the day-to-day running of the hospice which needs to raise £20,000 every day to keep their doors open. Lord’s Taverners have used some of the money to install sensory rooms, play spaces and also buy wheelchairs and mini buses to help young people get active and into sport.
- I firmly believe that our CSR efforts, which includes the MPCL, has greatly contributed to our excellent staff retention rates and the attraction of many of our current employees. People want to work for companies that care about the community and that put the needs of others high on their agenda. This is something that is of huge importance to me. As a business owner I want to be able to give back, and our MPCL and MPCL Charity Awards Lunch is just one of the ways we do this as a business.
- The MPCL has been great for the community in which we work. Charitable donations help better your community, and your customers and employees will notice if you are making a real effort to improve your surroundings. Your company's charitable donations could help improve schools or parks, help disadvantaged people or simply improve the areas in which you work. In our case, we help two well deserving charities continue their vital work.
- The MPCL also helps improve morale across our business and that of those that have taken part over the years. Events like the MPCL allow companies to take active interests in their own communities which often leads to a huge boost in employee morale. According to a 2016 Deloitte study, millennials are "twice as likely to rate their corporate culture as very positive" if their company participated in CSR activities that include corporate giving. Employees respect companies that care for their community and employees feel good about working for their employer.
I am a firm believer that events like the MPCL have significant benefits for any organisation. I am delighted that the MPCL has been a huge success, and I am proud of the amount of money it has raised over the years. I am already looking forward to our 2019 event, and watching the MPCL continue to succeed long into the future.
If you are interested in the MPCL and would like to discuss taking part next year please contact us by emailing email@example.com. Alternatively you can find out about our other sporting tournaments and CSR activities here.