by Sellick Partnership | 21 May 2019
Actuarial professionals need to keep up-to-date with relevant industry news to ensure they are always ready to deal with changes and developments across the sector. This is hugely important for those that may be seeking a new Actuarial job or are hoping to progress in their current firm. Here we run-down the top Twitter feeds we think Actuarial professionals should follow to ensure they remain up-to-date and secure a new job opportunity or promotion in the Actuarial sector.
If you are an actuarial professional then you know that staying up-to-date with the latest industry news can be vital in keeping ahead of financial and business developments that affect the sector. This is particularly important if you are on the lookout for your next career move.
Today’s recruiters and employers increasingly want to make sure that their candidates are aware of current affairs, trends, the latest reports and challenges, so that they can apply this insight for the better progression and development of the organisation as a whole.
But how to do this? Well, this is where Twitter can become your most valuable resource! Like many sectors, the actuary community is hugely active on Twitter in sharing news, analysis, data, good practice and commentary, as well as providing the opportunity for digital networking and connection-building.
If you are new to Twitter, or are not quite sure where to start, we have compiled a list of the essential accounts every Actuarial professional should follow in 2019. If you think we have missed any that you think should be added to the list, please do get in touch and let us know!
1. @TheActuaryMag – The Actuary is the official magazine for the UK actuarial profession, and its Twitter feed is must-follow for news, features and opinion.
2. @actuarialpost – The Twitter feed from Actuarial Post shares news, in-depth articles and analysis about the actuarial marketplace, covering topics such as investments, software, lifestyle, insurance and pensions.
3. @actuarynews – The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries is the UK's chartered professional body, dedicated to educating, developing and regulating actuaries based both in the UK and internationally. Its Twitter feed is a mix of company news and events, as well as sharing topical news and information affecting the sector.
4. @JosephLu2011 – Joseph Lu is an actuary who specialises in longevity risk. He tweets science-related news and information that has, or could have, an impact on insurance and society.
5. @CapEconUK – The official Twitter account of Capital Economics UK shares insights, data and research on the UK economy. It also offers commentary and analysis on issues ranging from social housing to manufacturing, the impact of Brexit, retail, oil prices and more.
6. @FT – For all things financial, the Financial Times Twitter feed is the go-to for up-to-date news and information covering a broad range of issues that affect the actuary sector and beyond.
7. @Forbes – Similar to the Financial Times, Forbes is an international publication with a Twitter feed that shares news, information, analysis and commentary relating to the world of business.
8. @ReutersBiz – Sharing business news from around the world, the Reuters Business Twitter account covers finance, markets, tech, world news and politics.
9. @gailtheactuary – Actuary Gail Tverberg shares information and data about energy and oil, the limits to these resources, and how these limits are affecting the financial system and our lives.
10. @IntActuarial – This is the official Twitter account for the International Actuarial Association, the worldwide association of professional actuarial associations. The feed posts information about events and webinars, as well as information about relevant white papers and reports.
11. @RoyalStatSoc – The Royal Statistical Society is a membership body that promotes a world with data at the heart of understanding and decision making. By following its Twitter account, you’ll find out about its latest events, courses and training.
12. @SellickGroup – No actuarial Twitter list would be complete without our own Twitter page! Be sure to follow us for the latest news, events, press and jobs!
For further information on how to use social media effectively to assist you in your job search, check out our wide-ranging resources for candidates here. Or if you are ready to kick-start your career today, take a look at our latest actuary jobs here.
Or, to speak to a member of our Actuarial recruitment team, call Manager Austin Brislen directly on 0151 224 1480.