by Austin Brislen | 6 May 2021
Actuarial professionals need to keep up-to-date with relevant industry news to ensure they are always ready to deal with changes and developments across the sector, whether they are seeking a new actuarial job or are hoping to progress at their current firm. Here, we run down the top Twitter feeds that actuarial professionals should follow to ensure they remain in the loop.
If you are an actuarial professional, then you know that staying up-to-date with the latest industry news can be vital in keeping ahead of financial and business developments that affect the sector. This is particularly important if you are on the lookout for your next career move.
Today’s recruiters and employers increasingly want to make sure that their candidates are aware of current affairs and trends, so that they can apply this insight to drive better progression and development for the organisation as a whole.
This is where Twitter can become your most valuable resource. Like many sectors, the actuary community is hugely active on Twitter in sharing news, analysis, data, good practice and commentary, as well as providing the opportunity for digital networking and connection-building.
If you are new to Twitter or are not quite sure where to start, we have compiled a list of the essential accounts every Actuarial professional should follow. If you think we have missed any that belong on this list, please get in touch and let us know!
- @TheActuaryMag - The Actuary is the official magazine for the UK actuarial profession, and its Twitter feed is a must-follow for news, features and opinion.
- @actuarialpost - The Actuarial Post’s Twitter feed shares news, in-depth articles and analysis about the actuarial marketplace, covering topics such as investments, software, lifestyle, insurance and pensions.
- @actuarynews - The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries is the UK's chartered professional body, dedicated to educating, developing and regulating actuaries based both in the UK and internationally. Its Twitter feed is a mix of company news and events, as well as topical news and information affecting the sector.
- @CapEconUK - The official Twitter account of Capital Economics UK shares insights, data and research on the UK economy. It also offers commentary and analysis on issues ranging from social housing to manufacturing, the impact of Brexit, retail, oil prices and more.
- @FT - For all things financial, the Financial Times Twitter feed is the go-to for up-to-date news and information covering a broad range of issues that affect the actuary sector and beyond.
- @Forbes - Similar to the Financial Times, Forbes is an international publication with a Twitter feed that shares news, information, analysis and commentary relating to the world of business.
- @ReutersBiz - Sharing business news from around the world, the Reuters Business Twitter account covers finance, markets, tech, world news and politics.
- @ActuaryByDay - Stuart McDonald is an actuary specialising in mortality and longevity, demographics and pensions. His Twitter feed shares fascinating insights into how global health trends affect risk and decision-making.
- @gailtheactuary - Actuary Gail Tverberg shares information and data about energy and oil, the limits to these resources, and how these limits are affecting the financial system and our lives.
- @IntActuarial - This is the official Twitter account for the International Actuarial Association, the worldwide association of professional actuarial associations. The feed posts information about events and webinars, as well as information about relevant white papers and reports.
- @RoyalStatSoc - The Royal Statistical Society is a membership body that promotes a world with data at the heart of understanding and decision-making. By following its Twitter account, you’ll find out about its latest events, courses and training.
- @SellickGroup - No actuarial Twitter list would be complete without our own Twitter page! Be sure to follow us for the latest news, events, press and jobs within the actuarial sector.
For further information on how to use social media effectively to assist you in your job search, check out our wide-ranging resources for candidates here. If you are ready to kick-start your career today, take a look at our latest actuary jobs.
You can also speak to a member of our actuarial recruitment team by calling manager Austin Brislen directly on 0151 224 1480.