Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
£50000 - £55000 per annum
9 months ago
Sellick Partnership are currently assisting a Local Authority based in Teesside in the recruitment of a Chief Accountant. Our client is looking for a passionate, qualified finance professional with a creative and collaborative approach.
- Leading the Central Finance function within the newly created Finance Directorate in terms of the provision of financial information and advice to Members and Officers of the Council.
- Coordinating the closure of accounts, treasury management and banking processes of the Council.
- Ensuring the finance function maintains up to date technical knowledge in order to provide the most appropriate financial guidance and advice and that the Statement of Accounts complies with the necessary CIPFA guidelines and conforms to IFRS accounting practice.
- To provide a financial advice and support service to directorates.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide an appropriate level of Service which meets the requirements of the Director of Finance (Section 151 Officer).
- To deputise for the Head of Finance & Investment as required.
- Staff Responsibilities - Supervise, manage and direct all staff within the Central Finance function including undertaking annual appraisals and frequent feedback and ensuring the training plans agreed at these are implemented.
- Responsible for maintaining the integrity and development of the financial management system and controls including keeping up do date approved revenue and capital budgets, control & holding accounts, and relevant training programmes.
- Closure of Accounts - preparation of the annual statement of accounts in accordance with agreed timescales ensuring the statement complies with CIPFA guidance and that all working papers are complete and satisfactory for the requirements of the annual external audit.
- Provide the key link and relationship with the Council's bankers and overall direction of the bank reconciliation and income posting processes.
- Lead on the Council's treasury management and cash flow activities in line with the Council's agreed strategies and practices.
- Lead on the Council's VAT and tax functions and HMRC returns.
- Ensuring the financial integrity of the Council's accounting system and compliance with legislative, Cipfa and current accounting standards.
- Qualified Accountant (CCAB)
- Extensive experience in Financial Management
- Local government or public sector accounting experience
- Project Management Skills
- Good understanding of CIPFA Accounting regulations
- IT Literate in relation to Financial Management Systems
If this position is of interest please apply or contact Helen Dodds at Sellick Partnership.
Sellick Partnership is a market-leading professional services recruitment specialist operating across the UK. Over the years we have built up an enviable relationship with employers and our expert team of consultants boast up-to-date market knowledge and a strong reputation making Sellick Partnership best placed to help you. Please note our advertisements use years' experience and salary levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role. If you do not hear from us within 48 hours please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. For information on how your personal details may be used by Sellick Partnership, please review our data processing notice which can be found in the footer on our website.