West Midlands, England
£40 - £50 per hour
4 months ago
3-6 months +
Democratic Services Specialist Needed!
Initial 3-6 month contract, with the possibility of extension.
£££ - flexible depending upon experience.
We have been asked to help one of our main clients recruit an interim Democratic Services specialist. This is an ideal opportunity for an experienced democratic services officer or manager. You will work within the Legal and Governance directorate. You will be highly experienced in dealing with elected members, as well as support and assist the Service Manager, Democratic Services and the Director of Law and Governance to project manage and implement a review of the Council Constitution and democratic Governance arrangements.
The successful candidate shall undertake and supervise all complex governance work and ensure that good governance is championed by the Council. You will also supervise and manage the work of other members of staff within the team who are assisting with the review as and when required. You will accurately draft the constitution and governance documents as required. As the Council's lead on the review of the constitution and governance arrangements, you will provide progress reports and presentation to the relevant stakeholders as and when required.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Evidence of exposure to or an established understanding of the democratic process.
- Experience of contributing to the development and maintenance of corporate objectives and policies.
- A proven track record in project management.
- Experience of Governance services within the Local Government environment.
- Proven experience of reviewing and drafting council constitutions and delegations.
- Proven experience of dealing with council meetings.
- Previous responsibility for the development and management of close working relationships with client services areas and Members.
- Ability to deal with high volume casework and complex matters under pressure.
- Ability to understand complex legislation and reports quickly.
- To be able to produce accurate and concise documents, reports, letters and general correspondence.
This is a rare opportunity to be heavily involved in the democratic process within this large local authority. It is a great opportunity for an already experienced Democratic Services expert to build on their CV and take the lead on important strategic matters.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Kate Jasper in our Manchester office.
Sellick Partnership is a market-leading professional services recruitment specialist operating across the UK. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and circumstances, including underrepresented and disadvantaged groups and those with disabilities. Please note our advertisements use years' experience and salary levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role. If you do not hear from us within 48 hours please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. For information on how your personal details may be used by Sellick Partnership, please review our data processing notice which can be found in the footer on our website.