Head of Department or Associate Solicitor
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
0113 243 9775
Sellick Partnership are currently working with a well-established law firm based in Leamington where an immediate opportunity has arisen for a Head of Department or Associate Solicitor to join their Family team. Hybrid working considered.
- Day-to-day management of the department, which includes ensuring staff within the department are suitably trained and have clear development plans.
- Conduct and co-ordinate performance and file reviews within the department.
- Undertake financial control and management of the department as required.
- Pro-active marketing and business development of the department, with the assistance of the Business Development Director to include attendance at networking and exhibition events when appropriate.
- Manage own caseload progression compliance and billing.
- Undertake own complex work in accordance with the requirements of the Office Manual.
- Responsible for the department's achievement of agreed targets and review of key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Liaise with the Compliance and Business Support Officer to manage complaints that arise within the department as required.
- Ensure departmental procedures are AML and Lexcel compliant.
- Arrange and chair regular departmental meetings and ensure effective communication within the department.
- Attend management meetings, if required, as the representative of the department and Head of Department meetings.
- Organise and attend all appropriate internal and external training seminars.
- Undertaking any reasonable instructions given by Directors within the limits of this employment description.
- Responsible for managing own busy caseload of financial remedy and private law children matters.
- Interview and advise clients, record information taken, advice given, decisions reached, and problems and potential solutions identified.
- Draft any documentation in accordance with efficient file management including correspondence, briefs, court documentation, full attendance notes and statements of evidence.
- Obtain all necessary information to formulate the case and assess means.
- Time record in accordance with the firm's policy and prepare bills regularly and as required to ensure KPIs are achieved.
- Regularly report to client, agree courses of action, and ensure that the client is aware of likely outcome and costs of case (to include providing client with regular and accurate cost estimates when required).
- Put into effect, by standard procedures where possible, tasks which need to be done to progress a particular matter.
- Maintain files and ensure efficient case management of matters.
- Continually review cases in the light of any new information.
- Maintain diary and case management systems.
- Manage delegated activities to experts, enquiry agents, costs draftspersons, counsel, other employees, and others.
- Advocacy - preparation of self, client, experts, and others.
- Keep up to date with developments in the law relevant
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years' PQE as a Family Private Solicitor
- Experienced Associate Solicitor or Head of Department/Partner/Director
- Budgeting skills and commercial awareness
- Well-developed people management skills and experience of running and managing a team
- Full clean driving license and use of a car
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Experience of case management systems and time recording
- Knowledge and understanding of current AML regulations, SRA Accounts Rules and Code of Conduct
- Awareness of cybersecurity and data protection issues and legislation
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal); skilled in dealing sensitively with clients
- Good working knowledge and application of accounting and finance systems within the firm
- Flexibility to work outside of normal office hours to fulfil the requirements of the role
If you are interested in this position or require any further information, please contact Jack Heaton or apply within.
Sellick Partnership is a market-leading professional services recruitment specialist operating across the UK. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and circumstances, including underrepresented and disadvantaged groups and those with disabilities. Please note our advertisements use years' experience and salary levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role. For information on how your personal details may be used by Sellick Partnership, please review our data processing notice which can be found in the footer on our website.