Cheshire East, Cheshire
£72300 - £73300 per annum
3 months ago
Sellick Partnership is delighted to be recruiting a Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer in partnership with Cheshire East Council. The council's new corporate plan sets a vision of being open, fair and green while reinforcing a commitment to meeting its equality duties, promoting fairness and working openly for everyone.
The council are now seeking a Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer to join their well-established legal team. Cheshire East Council is a great place that is full of potential. As a large unitary authority, it delivers around 500 services to its customers with a day-to-day budget for services of £301m, excluding schools funding. The borough is also home to 380,800 residents and more than 175,000 households.
As Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer you will be taking over the reins at a crucial time of development. The legal team has recently implemented a new structure and is ready to tackle a range of high-profile projects. You will be responsible for overseeing the delivery of these key projects including HS2, Middlewich Eastern Bypass and Handforth Village Garden project to name a few.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-established legal team and an ambitious authority during what is both an exciting and challenging time. The successful Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer will:
- Lead and manage the council's internal legal department
- Provide legal support to the Corporate Leadership Team and Senior Officers and Members
- Support the Director of Governance and Compliance Services in their duties
- Act as the Deputy Monitoring Officer
- Support sound democratic decision making, ensuring good and effective governance
To be a successful Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer you will need to:
- Be qualified to practise as a Barrister, Solicitor or equivalent
- Have an in depth and up-to-date knowledge of Local Government legislation and national and local development affecting Local Authorities
- Be able to promote strong collaboration working relations with both internal and external stakeholders
- Have evidence of formal post graduate management development
- Have evidence of ongoing professional development
In return, the successful Head of Legal Services and Deputy Monitoring Officer will receive:
- 25 days holiday, increasing to 30 days in line with continuous 5 years' service, plus bank holidays
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Cheshire East recognise the importance of work-life balance and can offer a range of flexible working patterns, including home working opportunities
If you believe you have the necessary skills and experience for the Head of Legal and Deputy Monitoring Officer role at Cheshire East Council, please apply now, or contact Natalie Atherall at Sellick Partnership. The closing date is Monday 4 April 2022 at 12:00pm. We will be reviewing CVs on a weekly basis and shortlisted candidates will be contacted before the closing date. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed week commencing 11 April 2022.
Sellick Partnership is a market-leading professional services recruitment specialist operating across the UK. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and circumstances, including underrepresented and disadvantaged groups and those with disabilities. Please note our advertisements use years' experience and salary levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role. For information on how your personal details may be used by Sellick Partnership, please review our data processing notice which can be found in the footer on our website.