Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
£249 - £250 per day
7 months ago
I am delighted to be working with a well known further education organisation in the Newcastle upon Tyne area to recruit for a Senior Network Technician on an initial 6 months contract basis.
The main prupose of the Senior Network Technician is to co-ordinate the installation, maintenance and development of the organisationsstructured and related cabling system and associated hardware ensuring that it meets the organisations ongoing requirements.
The Senior Network Technician main duties and responsibilitiues include:
- Co-ordinate the installation, maintenance and development of the University's structured cabling system ensuring that it meets current and forth-coming University needs and requirements. This duty will include leading or co-ordinating surveys, preparing tender plans detailing structured and related cabling installations, establishing network closet locations (as appropriate) as preparatory work for formal tender specifications (tenders managed by ESS). When necessary the post-holder will test completed installations to relevant data-cabling standards before accepting hand-over from the contractor and connection to the University data or telecoms services.
- The post-holder will provide advice on the addition of equipment to the data network (at any of its sites), and the inspection of any work done prior to the connection of equipment to the data network to ensure that the network service provided to all customers continues to function efficiently. The post-holder will connect IT-based equipment and other peripherals to the data network, install communications software, and where necessary modify the operating parameters of the module supporting the data network connection to ensure that the connected equipment works effectively and securely on the University data network.
- The post-holder will resolve problems with end-customer equipment connections to the data network, e.g. resolving software configuration errors or physical/hardware failures.
- The post-holder will perform fault finding duties on the structured and related cabling infrastructure and associated equipment. This will include the testing of functionality of all types of structured and related cabling infrastructure e.g. UTP and optical fibre. Where appropriate, the post-holder will diagnose faults on such infrastructure at the network equipment level e.g. Ethernet switches and wireless access points.
- The post-holder, working with other members of the team and colleagues in ESS will ensure that detailed records of the University's structured and related cabling infrastructure are kept. e.g. cable routes, cable types and equipment connections. This includes ensuring that initial plans are updated as the infrastructure evolves over time to provide appropriate documentation to aid both fault diagnosis and liaison with colleagues in NUIT, ESS and customers where necessary.
- The post-holder, working with other members of the team and external suppliers will be involved in planned project work which spans both cabling and telephony activities, e.g. assisting with the migration to new telephony reporting software, deplyoment of telephony hardware to new or refurbished buildings, in addition to annual events such as Student Registration and Clearing activities.
Ideal candidates will be HNC/ HND or equivelant in Information Technology/ Networks, have proven experinece in computer networkingand structured cabling installations, experience in the use of network diagnostic tools and experience of istallation and configuration of computer hardware, software and related peripherals.
If you would like to apply for this role or would like to find out more, please apply online.
Sellick Partnership is a market-leading professional services recruitment specialist operating across the UK. Over the years we have built up an enviable relationship with employers and our expert team of consultants boast up-to-date market knowledge and a strong reputation making Sellick Partnership best placed to help you. Please note our advertisements use years' experience and salary levels purely as a guide. We are happy to consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role. For information on how your personal details may be used by Sellick Partnership, please review our data processing notice which can be found in the footer on our website