Void and Lettings Officer
Void and Lettings Officer
Temporary Contract (3 Months)
To support the Void and Lettings Team Leader and Void and Lettings Manager in the delivery of a customer focused effective and efficient Void and Lettings service by ensuring that robust pre-tenancy assessments are completed, which include affordability assessments (Experian credit referencing (SS only), affordability assessments, Tenancy Sustainment Service, referrals (SS only) and Money Advice referrals) and suitability assessments for property, ensuring that customers are able to sustain a tenancy.
- To contribute to the smooth and efficient running of the team and directorate and the successful delivery of professional customer focused housing services.
- To work within the Company's Equality & Diversity Policy, Health and Safety Policy, Customer Service and performance management framework and other related policies; ensuring that these are complied with throughout all property allocation activities.
- To work within the scope of this role to ensure the highest standards of customer care in all aspects of the Void and Lettings service.
- Ensure that all activities undertaken are carried out to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism in accordance with the Company's policies and procedures.
- To process tenancy terminations and terminate tenancies on the HMS, ensuring that customers are advised of notice requirements.
- To co-ordinate and carry out pre-termination visits to all general needs outgoing tenants to assess property condition and to provide clear guidelines to tenants on the process and potential re-charges incurred on re-chargeable repairs for the purpose of reducing costs at void.
- Working smartly and efficiently on pre-termination visits to ensure a fast turn-around time and timely inspections of properties.
- To arrange collection of keys from all general needs outgoing tenants
- To install key safes to ensure the timely passing over to Client Services of keys
- To ensure that properties are allocated in line with policy and procedures, ensuring that properties are let in a timely manner to ensure that budgets are not overspent in relation to void costs.
- Carry out robust pre-tenancy assessments to ensure new customers have the financial and other capacity to take on and sustain a tenancy.
- Carry out financial assessments in order to establish a prospective tenant's suitability for affordable rented properties.
- Verify prospective tenant's eligibility including immigration status (Immigration Act 2014) and Right to Rent.
- Ensure any support needs are identified and in-house referrals external sign posting is completed prior to the letting of the tenancy.
- Working in conjunction with the void team via daily communication and weekly meetings to ensure properties are re-let within agreed target times ensuring lettable standards are maintained.
- Arrange and carry out pre-ready viewing with the customer at the void property.
- Conducting risk assessments when carrying out pre ready and in notice viewings, ensuring applicants attending are briefed and aware of potential risks, and completing dynamic risk assessment prior to entering the property.
- Manage all tenancy terminations for transferring tenants, liaising with Neighbourhood and Income Officers for tenancy and rent account information.
- To carry out the transfer process working with the Neighbourhoods and Income Team, co-ordinating and carrying out inspections on internal applicants wishing to transfer, assessing the condition of property against the lettable standard and ensuring moves do not proceed if costs have been identified.
- Working with the Neighbourhood & Tenancy Officers to ensure that action plans are created and followed up where transfer moves have been refused and tenancy breaches may have occurred.
- Ensure payment of rent in advance is received prior to the letting of the tenancy.
- To ensure all Void and Lettings information is accurately maintained on the HMS system to enable appropriate support to customers and awareness to Housing Plus employees on potential dangers or vulnerabilities.
- Where required, work with Neighbourhood Officers to ensure that Local Lettings Plans and sensitive lettings are adhered to in order to help maintain sustainable communities
- Identifying 'hard to let' properties and proposing key actions such as identifying alternative advertising methods to ensure the property is let quickly, minimising rent loss.
- Responsible for ensuring that void properties are let promptly to ensure that void loss is kept to a minimum and subsequently budgets are not overspent
- Responsible for ensuring that rental amounts are entered onto the housing management system, therefore incurring income
- Responsible for administering petty cash
- Responsible for authorising decoration vouchers up to the value of £500
- GCSEs in Maths and English or equivalent qualification
- (DESIR) Relevant Professional qualification
- Relevant experience and knowledge in voids and lettings including Choice Based lettings
- Knowledge of legislation and best practice regarding housing issues, homelessness and immigration legislation as it to relates to Allocations and Lettings
Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of the Capita Open Housing System relating to void management and allocations is DESIRABLE
- Be able to show an understanding of the financial implications of poor property management.
- Demonstrates commitment to Customer Service in all activities
- Ensures quality and productivity goals and standards are met
- Understands and is committed to Value for Money & Best Value
- Understanding of, and commitment to equal opportunities
- MUST HAVE a Current active UK driving license and access to a private motor vehicle for work purposes