by Michael Bailey | 19 February 2019
Are you a commercially minded legal professional who is short on time, but needs to stay on top of current trends, challenges and competitor activity for the good of your business? Twitter is a great way for you to stay ahead of the game and get the insights and industry knowhow you need to succeed. Give these Twitter accounts a follow today, and start engaging with some of the best of your legal profession.
As the number of solicitors qualified to work in England and Wales continues to rocket (up a massive 36% from 2011) and the demand for commercially minded lawyers outstrips supply, the need to save time becomes an essential trait for lawyers.
Additionally, our clients are increasingly seeking legal candidates who are aware of current affairs, trends, challenges and competitor activity and who can apply this knowledge to make strategic decisions and contribute to the growth of their organisation.
Twitter can be the perfect avenue for keeping informed on all of these developments. However, with thousands of potentially relevant accounts and the average lawyer having large workloads and very little time, it can often be difficult to find the right ones to follow.
To give you a helping hand, we have listed the top Twitter accounts most useful to legal professionals who need to be commercially focused:
- @Lawsocgazette - The Law Society Gazette’s official Twitter page offers a concise feed featuring top daily legal headlines. It also features links to opinion pieces on a range of topics, such as Brexit’s impact on the legal sector, reports on work/life balance for solicitors, and even careers advice for practising solicitors.
- @UKintlaw - The official Twitter account of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office’s legal team is well worth a follow for those looking to stay abreast of key developments in international law.
- @LocGovLawyer - Local Government Lawyer provides news, analysis, events and jobs covering legal practice in both local government and the wider public sector.
- @LegalWeek - Legal Week’s feed is regularly updated with key news and insight for business lawyers, offering advice for both novice and seasoned legal professionals.
- @Legal500 - The Legal 500 is a leading guide to law firms and solicitors in the UK. More than four million users visit The Legal 500 website and their Twitter account is a great spot for all the latest news, industry rankings and resources. A must for any legal professional!
- @TheLawyermag - The Lawyer Magazine's official feed is full of news, events and insights within the legal sector across the globe. This highly respected publication is one that almost every legal professional will find interesting, and is a great resource if you want to keep up to date!
- @CounselMagazine - A must-follow for barristers, Counsel is the monthly Journal of the Bar of England and Wales, largely written by and for barristers. This is the best place to stay up to date with the latest developments from the sector.
- @LegalBusinessUK - Legal Business UK offers regular updates and market-leading legal commentary and analysis on the very latest from the UK legal industry. For an informed perspective on the business side of the legal sector, there are few better outlets.
- @JoshuaRozenberg - Joshua Rozenberg is Britain's best-known commentator on the law. He previously trained as a lawyer before becoming a BBC journalist, and regularly comments on breaking legal stories. Top tip - check out Joshua’s followers if you want to expand your reach and network with legal professionals across the globe!
- @TimesLaw - The Times’ dedicated legal Twitter feed is among the best of the national press, featuring breaking legal news from both the UK and international markets, as well as insights and advice from prominent legal professionals.
- @Lawyerist - The Lawyerist provides insight into the legal world for legal professionals of all levels, with news, events, opinions and memes on current affairs.
- @Legalcheek - Legal Cheek’s Twitter feed provides light-hearted relief for those in the legal sector, often highlighting the latest news with a humorous perspective. We love their weekly roundup of legal news every Monday!
- @GlobalLegalPost - Global Legal Post provides an excellent rundown of the world’s legal news, analysis and events.
- @fdelond – Professor Fiona de Londras is a human rights lawyer with a great reputation and following. She is a practising lawyer, self-proclaimed feminist and immigrant, and is the current Chair of Global Legal Studies at the University of Birmingham School of Law. Tweeting about everything from Brexit to abortion law, her feed is certainly worth a follow.
- @SellickGroup - no legal Twitter list would be complete without our own Twitter page! Our legal community follows us to stay-up-to-date with the legal jobs market, get the latest insights from our expert legal recruitment consultants, and news related to the legal sector. Be sure to follow us for the latest news, events, press coverage and legal jobs.
If you have found this blog useful and are looking for a new legal opportunity, we would love to hear from you. Check out our latest legal jobs today, or contact me directly by calling 0161 834 1642 or email me at email@example.com.
You can also check out our candidate resources page for more of our insights into making the most of your online presence, such as how to use social media in your job search or tips on developing your online brand as a lawyer.