by Laura Smedley-Williams | 11 April 2016
During busier times or times of other staff holidays, are we working too hard? Personally I support my team as much as possible, and will always strive to go above and beyond where I can. During these busier times my workload increases and I will always offer support where I can, however sometimes I wonder if I’m just working too hard and not smart enough?!
This has caused me to wonder how to streamline not only my processes but also those of the rest of the team to make us more efficient. Sometimes we work so hard that we take the strains and pressures on board and don’t feel like we’re getting anywhere. So, should we be working smarter and not harder? As a result I have done some research into how to work smarter, and below are some simple ways to do so:
- As a team we discuss regularly how we can increase productivity and improve the way in which we do things, so I’ve recently taken the time to think about some of our basic processes and written guides to improve on these
- I am always keen to speak to my peers in the business and find out how they do things and take away ideas or processes they have in place to improve on ours
- Take regular breaks – a good 30 seconds away from your desk can be the thing you need to get your head back in the game
- Emails – I tend to check these first thing before I get stuck into anything else – it helps me feel like I’m ready to start the day
- Time management – seems pretty obvious, but I think we’re all guilty of letting this slide when we’re busy
- Make sure you’re using your annual leave consistently – don’t wait months and months without a break, you’ll feel burnt out
- Find something you enjoy to help you unwind either of an evening or weekend, join the gym or a class, or just spend time with your loved ones without discussing work.
How do you get the most out of your team and promote productivity? Do you feel like you could work smarter and not harder?