by Sellick Partnership | 11 July 2016
With seven offices including Manchester, Leeds, Midlands, East Midlands, Newcastle, Liverpool and London, it is not uncommon for our consultants to travel between offices regularly. If the thought of getting to head office, or indeed any other office fills you with dread, here are some handy tips for a stress free day.
- Plan your route – book train tickets nice and early, plan the motorway journey in advance which can mentally prepare you for what is ahead gets you mentally prepared for what’s ahead.
- Have a nice breakfast – treat yourself and grab a coffee and something from a really nice café/well known coffee franchise and relax.
- Prepare for why you are there – make sure you have all essential documents and planners with you. There’s nothing worse than being without your diary, pen or phone – many people find working away from their normal environment difficult so make sure that you have everything you need to have a productive day.
- Make the most of you time there - if your meeting is only an hour why not schedule some other activities for example spending time with another department, getting that quick meeting in that you couldn’t before with that new person everyone keeps talking about.
- Make yourself get a nice lunch – even a chocolate bar thrown in for something to really look forward to!
- Get yourself a nice treat for the journey home too – you deserve it
- Do not sit there and countdown the hours – as you have planned your day so well you will be too busy anyway
- Turn your emails off on your phone before you leave – enjoy the journey home it can all wait until tomorrow morning
The main message is to make the most of the day and enjoy the different atmosphere. Time away from the office to focus without normal day to day interruptions and a change of scenery. It need not be a stressful experience filled with anxiety and dread. If you make the most of it, you will find that it can be quite enjoyable.